St. Philip’s Parish Life Ministry hosted its first event under new leadership. The celebration of our glorious Independence Day included an Ice Cream Social featuring three delicious flavors of ice cream and all kinds of yummy toppings. More than one hundred people enjoyed the treats, the hospitality and quiz about the Revolutionary War. The children sported sticky stars on their foreheads, while others put them on their clothing.
Independence Day Quiz
- In what year did the Revolutionary War begin?
- Name a commander on the American colonists’ side.
- What was Patrick Henry’s favorite quote?
- What was the Boston Tea Party about?
- Who was the U.S. president after the Revolutionary War?
- Who was Britain’s ruling monarch at the time?
- Name two advantages that the colonists had over the British.
- Name three of your relatives who have served in the U.S. military. Extra credit for more!
- Did any other nations help the colonists? Which ones?
- Can you name a battlefield of this war?
Did you know that George Washington saved a lot of his men’s lives by having them inoculated against smallpox? The British were not so fortunate.
Lively discussions ensued about the quiz. The answers to the quiz are now posted on the bulletin board near the kitchen, along with pictures taken during the event. Stay tuned for more exciting events.
—Your Parish Life Committee: Jeannine Rainbolt, Martha Lawrence, and Joe Yukish